Cosmetic dentistry has become a very popular choice among people all over the country, especially during the pandemic. With Zoom meetings, Facetime socializing and Instagram Stories, people’s faces are on constant display, making it even more necessary to maintain their teeth.
What is Cosmetic Dentistry?
Cosmetic Dentistry is a type of dental treatment that focuses not only on oral health but also the appearance of your teeth. Most cosmetic central treatments are elective, but some can prove to be very useful for restorative purposes, like jaw injuries, misshapen teeth and dental diseases.
Types of Cosmetic Dental Procedures
- Whitening: Most people opt for whitening their teeth to improve their smile, especially when they are at work or social events. Also known as ‘bleaching your teeth’, this smile makeover treatment significantly brightens up the teeth, doing away with discoloration or stains.
- Dental Veneers: This is ideal for people who struggle with dental decay or degradation due to smoking or bruxism, and even help correct tooth gaps, breaks, crookedness or discoloration. Veneers, thin shells made of either porcelain or composite material, are cemented onto the front portion of the teeth.
- Implants: A dental implant is ideal for cases with broken or missing teeth. Usually made of titanium, an implant is a metal device that is surgically placed through the gum into the jawbone, in place of the lost tooth. The implant helps keep artificial teeth or crowns in place.
- Crowns: Also known as dental caps, crowns are made of either acrylic or porcelain, fused with metal to ensure that they won’t break under the pressure of a bite, and are placed all around the tooth. These are used for cavities, tooth decay, tooth sensitivity or very large fillings.
- Shaping and Bonding: Tooth shaping or ‘enamel shaping’ is done by filing the tooth or removing some of the enamel to create a desired shape. This produces immediate results and can help with crooked, misshapen teeth that people are embarrassed or uncomfortable with.
- Orthodontic Treatment: While orthodontic treatment is popular among children, it is also very useful for adults who want cosmetic improvements to their teeth. The best orthodontist from San Jose can easily rectify teeth deformations like buck teeth, even in adults, by using braces and other corrective machinery.
Choosing the Right Cosmetic Dentist:
If you are looking for some cosmetic changes to your teeth, then you have to be certain that the cosmetic dentist you choose is worth the investment.
Check their Credentials: While all dentists will have a list of credentials to show for their work, it is important to see their certification like whether they are registered with the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry. Having accreditation by the AACD automatically indicates the level of expertise and knowledge of advanced techniques.
Academic Background: Dentists have to go through medical school in order to earn their medical license. But what you want to look for is continuing education. This is crucial especially to cosmetic dentistry because it is rapidly evolving and would require regular refresher courses for cosmetic dentists to stay up-to-date with the latest technology and procedures. For example, if you are in Rio Rancho, New Mexico, and want to get cosmetic dental work done, it is important to find a Rio Rancho dentist that has invested in continuing education.
Professional Affiliations: Consider a cosmetic dentist who is connected with other professionals in the field, thereby constantly perfecting his or her craft, brainstorming for new ideas and techniques, and helping the dentistry community learn and grow. Active members of communities like the American Dental Association are definitely more credible and can be vouched for.
Study their cases: The best way to know if the cosmetic dentist in question is worth your money, is to actually see their work in action. Study any cases they share on their websites or social media, with ‘before and after photos, so you can see the improvements they are able to create for patients. The ideal cosmetic dentist will take time to fully understand your needs and go to extra lengths to ensure you get what you want. Testimonials from happy patients are always a bonus.
Equipment and Technology: Make sure your dentist is using the latest technology and is constantly upgrading the cosmetic dental equipment in the clinic. You can visit the clinic and ask for a tour of the premises. You will get an idea of the kind of equipment the clinic uses, level of hygiene and number of people available to attend to a patient at a given time. At the end of the day, you are looking for the highest standard of treatment for your teeth.