Rose water or gulab jal has been a mainstay of traditional beauty treatments for a long time now. Well, we know that it has benefits for beautiful skin, but did you know that it was also used as medicine (as a rose water toner)?
This fragrant solution is a gentle and nourishing remedy to heal various skincare issues like dryness, acne, and black spots. It has been used since the 7th century in Asian and Middle Eastern cultures. Perhaps the most iconic person to ever use rose water was Cleopatra. The legendary Egyptian queen used it every day as a major part of her skincare regime.
Rose water is generally made from a particular kind of rose called the Damask rose, grown in several parts of the world. The rose petals are crushed and added to boiling water. The distilled steam is collected and turned into rose water.
Rose water is available in various formulations these days, from cleansers to more intensive treatments. Many people mix rose water with their face masks or face packs to increase its benefits. However, rose water also makes an excellent toner for all skin types and is a natural way of tightening those pores for glowing and radiant skin.
How to get pure and blemish-free skin with rose water toner?
Toning is the second step in a standard CTM routine after cleansing and moisturizing. Many people skip this step, but that’s a mistake because using a toner has multiple benefits for your skin.
While cleansing removes all the major dirt from your face, a toner helps you eliminate any remaining traces of impurities and dead skin cells. It also tightens pores, reduces blackheads, and ensures that the skin’s delicate pH stays balanced.
There are all kinds of toners in the market today, but some of them contain alcohol, an ingredient that can do more harm than good. Any toner that is too astringent will dry out the skin completely, and you’ll be left with extremely tight, irritated skin that may even sting.
The best option is to use a naturally hydrating and healing toner, and that’s why a rose water toner works so well. Here are some of its benefits:
- It is a natural moisturizing agent. It moisturizes the skin, improves the functionality of the skin’s protective barrier, and helps reduce transdermal water loss.
- Like all toners, it also helps unclog pores and clears them out, so you don’t get infections or breakouts later. It also tightens pores and makes them appear smaller.
- Rose water has anti-inflammatory properties. Thus, its toner is perfect for healing symptoms like redness and irritation from inflammatory conditions like eczema, rosacea, or psoriasis. It can also heal sun damage like sunburn.
- This gentle toner is safe for all skin types, including the sensitive skin of the face and neck. It balances the natural oil balance for those with oily skin and adds an extra layer of hydration for those with dry skin.
- Toners are great for reducing oiliness. This fragrant solution also prevents the oil glands from producing excess oil, thus driving out sebum and the skin to be fresher and radiant.
- Large amounts of Vitamins A and C in rose water enhance the toner’s anti-aging benefits (like boosting collagen production).
- Rose water is packed with antioxidants that protect the skin from free radical damage and help undo any oxidative damage.
- Another benefit of using a toner is that it treats hyperpigmentation and reduces the appearance of spots and fine lines.
Rose water relaxes our central nervous system, decreases anxiety, improves sleep patterns, and soothes headaches. While not exactly a skin benefit, a toner also offers enhanced aromatherapy benefits.
To get these benefits, it’s important to use a pure rose water toner that’s free from chemicals or alcohol, like Mamaearth Rose Face Toner with Witch Hazel. It offers all the advantages of rose water and the added benefits of witch hazel. Witch hazel also possesses anti-inflammatory properties and can help slow down the aging process.
What’s more, this toner is free from all unwanted toxins like parabens, silicones, or mineral oil. This is important since most people with sensitive skin stay away from toners due to the stinging they experience on the application.
Using Mamaearth Rose Water Toner is quite simple, as follows:
Step 1: First, wash your face with a gentle face wash that suits your skin type.
Step 2: Pat dry with a towel.
Step 3: Apply toner on a cotton pad and dab all over your face and neck.
Step 4: Finish up with a moisturizing face cream.
It is important to complete the CTM routine by following up the toner with a hydrating cream suitable for your facial skin. Take your pick from a wide range of face creams from Mamaearth for every skin type and every skin problem. The toner ensures the cream is well absorbed into the skin and lasts longer.
Besides dabbing on your face, there are a few other uses of this safe rose water toner too. You can apply some on your lips with a cotton pad for extra moisturization and increased color. Rose water is gentle enough for the delicate skin on the lips.
Such toner is also great as an after-shave. Rose water is soothing to the skin, and calms down any irritation after shaving, preventing ingrown hairs or inflammation. It also possesses antiseptic properties, preventing any infection down the line. You can also use it to remove light makeup without resorting to heavy formulations.
Rose water is generally considered safe for everyone, including pregnant women. Although the Mamaearth Rose Water Toner is only meant for topical application, it can even be consumed as a drink or tea.
An allergy is extremely rare, but you can stay on the safe side by doing a patch test. Apply a small amount on the inside of your arm and wait for 24 hours. If you don’t notice any reaction, you can go ahead and use the rose water toner. If you experience any burning, stinging, redness, or irritation, you may be allergic to it and should stop using it.