HealthWhy Learning More About Your DNA Could Help You Live A Healthier...

Why Learning More About Your DNA Could Help You Live A Healthier Life

There’s a lot you may need to know about DNA if you are going to have a healthier life. Everyone is out there searching for the best ways to be healthy when a simple knowledge of DNA can help out. If you are going to get the best out of your life, here are a few reasons why you may need to learn more about DNA. 

DNA Is the Blueprint for Life

You may know the basics of DNA by now, but if not, here’s a quick recap. DNA is the blueprint for life and is found inside the nucleus of every cell. The double helix contains four bases: adenine (A), thymine (T), guanine (G), and cytosine (C). These bases bond in pairs so that A always pairs with T and G always pairs with C. These specific pairings are what make up your unique DNA. Although this is just a brief introduction to understanding your DNA, it’s important to know that these molecular building blocks provide life-changing information about how you can be healthier than ever before.

Our Genes Change

To understand that, you need to know a little bit about the basics of genes. You’ve probably heard someone talk about their “good genes” or “bad genes,” but it’s not that simple. Genes can change over time, and outside factors can influence how they do. For instance, if your parents have a gene mutation called BRCA1 or BRCA2, you have a higher risk of breast cancer. But only some people with those mutations will ever get the disease —and it won’t necessarily happen until they’re older. That’s because there are things we still don’t understand about our bodies and how they react to DNA mutations over time. Our bodies’ responses to our genetic makeup can change as we age—and these changes occur based on our experiences in the world around us.

We’re All Different

  • You may remember from high school biology that our DNA is 99.9% the same. However, it’s the remaining 0.1% that makes each of us unique and determines everything from our eye color to how we metabolize caffeine.
  • Even though we can’t change how our genes impact us, learning about this genetic component can help us understand which lifestyle choices are most effective for us and empower us to live healthier lives.

You Can Learn About Your DNA to Help You Understand Your Health

The best way to understand your DNA is to start with your family history. The genetic information you’ve inherited from your parents and grandparents can help you learn more about what makes you different and how those differences impact your health. DNA results can give you key insights into where your genes came from. If there’s a known genetic condition prevalent in one country or region, it might be more likely that you have that gene as well. DNA health is quite crucial in this aspect and can help you avoid some health pitfalls. 

Learning About DNA Can Help You Live a Healthier Life

There are several things you can do for a healthier life, but learning about your DNA should also be a part of it. Here are some of the reasons why you need to learn more about DNA and why it could help you live a healthier life. 

Subscribe Today





Get unlimited access to our EXCLUSIVE Content and our archive of subscriber stories.

Exclusive content

Latest article

More article