Are you preparing for your SMP?
Are you interested in undergoing one?
Preparing for scalp micropigmentation (SMP) is easy if you know what it is and what the process will entail. Not much is written about it because the procedure deals with a taboo topic – hair loss. Hair loss does not have to be a thing that one deals with in the shadows. There is no shame in facing one’s biological circumstances and personal preferences courageously. It so happens that some people have hair issues and most of them (if not all) want to do something about it. This is where SMP steps in. SMP is an effective solution for people who suffer from hair loss. To allow you to know every single essential thing about it, this post will share information on the following:
- what scalp micropigmentation is
- what happens during the process of scalp micropigmentation
- what you need to do after undergoing the procedure: the aftercare you need for scalp micropigmentation
- frequently asked questions on scalp micropigmentation
Read on, learn, and be ready to face a brand new life with full confidence and absolutely free from shame!
Scalp Micropigmentation: What is it?
Scalp micropigmentation is a non-invasive cosmetic procedure where a healthcare provider deposits clinically safe pigment on a person’s scalp to produce a natural, hairlike appearance. This is why it is also known as a hair tattoo. It is a non-surgical treatment for hair loss where a practitioner draws tiny dots on one’s scalp in order to imitate hair follicles. The pigment will be carefully picked to ensure that it blends well with a person’s existing hair. The aim of such a procedure is to create a look that makes a person appear to have thicker hair. If one is completely bald, one will look like they just have shaved hair.
SMP is undergone by both men and women to help in their hair loss struggles. A healthcare provider will do the following during the procedure:
- deposit medical-grade pigment that can restore receded hairlines
- deposit medical-grade pigment that can create a natural look of density if combined with existing hair
- deposit medical-grade pigment that can camouflage scars, especially one’s lefts from surgeries or hair transplants
- deposit medical-grade pigment that can narrow a wide part of the hair
As SMP is non-invasive, a person can walk in and out of an aesthetician’s clinic within a day. There will be no scarring and significant downtime. It’s basically like getting a tattoo, but on your scalp. And one, that is done by a health practitioner and not a tattoo artist. With SMP, just like a tattoo, the results are also immediate.
Scalp Micropigmentation: What happens during the procedure?
Undergoing the procedure will involve the following:
You will be consulting first with the SMP artist who will do the procedure. You will discuss your personal needs and preferences. You will also have all your questions answered during the consultation.
2. Hairline Planning
It is during the consultation that you and your SMP artist will plan, strategize, and finalize your preferred hairline and overall look. This will be arrived at by studying your facial shape and taking note of your previous hairline. You will be made aware of the following after the consultation:
- what is achievable
- what you can expect
- what the end result will look like
3. Procedure Proper
An SMP proper usually takes 2-3 sessions to complete. The number of sessions needed will depend on the look that you want to achieve. You will need more sessions if you want to cover more areas.
You can expect to see redness in the area immediately after your procedure. This will go hand in hand with the immediate results. Your next session, if still needed, will be scheduled 7 to 14 days after. This is necessary as it will give your skin the chance to heal.
Scalp Micropigmentation: Aftercare
You should observe the following aftercare practices to care for your scalp after undergoing SMP:
1. You should treat your scalp like an open wound. You should not have it washed and it should be clean at all times. You will not be allowed to wash your hair for the first four days after your session.
2. The following will not be allowed: saunas, chlorinated pools, steam rooms, and tanning beads. The prohibition will last right after every session and for 30 days after your last procedure. This is to secure a long-lasting result.
3. You should avoid sweating heavily. Sweating excessively can interrupt your scalp’s healing process.
4. You should not expose your scalp to sunlight. It can lead to sun damage or sunburn.
5. You should not touch your scalp with unclean hands. It can lead to infection.
Scalp Micropigmentation: Frequently Asked Questions
Will it hurt?
It will not feel comfortable but it will not hurt as much as when one is getting a traditional body tattoo.
Will the pigments fade?
Yes, it will lighten in time. The period of time that it will take before fading will depend on your lifestyle and skin type. This is why a touch-up is needed to be done for maintenance purposes.
What if you lose more hair?
Then you should simply opt for another session to cover such an area.
Is it expensive?
The pricing will vary and will highly depend on a patient-to-patient basis. People who will only need to cover a small area of their scalp won’t have to spend much.