An extremity numbness or pain condition is called neuropathy. It can result from injury, diabetes, or an autoimmune disease. It is commonly treated with medication; however, compression socks help in reducing swelling and improving circulation to relieve pain caused by nerve pain and improve quality of life.
In this article, let’s provide tips on how to get relief from your symptoms using neuropathy socks.
Table of Contents
What is neuropathy?
Symptoms of neuropathy include numbness and tingling in the arms and legs. It can also cause pain, weakness, and muscle cramps. It is caused by damage to the nerves in your body. Diabetic complications, alcohol abuse, and toxic exposure can all lead to this damage.
What causes neuropathy?
It is a condition that occurs when the nerves in your body are damaged. Toxins, inflammation, lack of oxygen, injury, or other factors can cause this damage.
Any physical damage to the nerve fibres in your body can cause this issue. For example:
· Radiation therapy for cancer (to kill cancer cells) may damage the optic nerve and cause vision loss or blindness.
· Diabetes (high blood sugar) can damage the nerves in your feet and legs and other body parts like eyesight and kidneys.
What are the associated symptoms?
Neuropathy is a condition that causes people to experience symptoms such as numbness, tingling, pain and weakness in their feet and hands. It can also cause pain in the arms, legs, hips or back. It can also feel like having a tight band around your neck.
What are the treatment options?
In general, there isn’t a cure for such a problem. However, you can take steps to manage the symptoms and reduce discomfort by taking medications or following a healthy lifestyle.
The most common treatment methods include:
· Medications such as antidepressants or anticonvulsants to help control pain. These medications have side effects that include drowsiness, weight gain and constipation in some patients; they are usually prescribed alongside other treatments like physical therapy or lifestyle changes.
· As you strengthen weak muscles, you can move about more efficiently and avoid tripping over more often due to poor balance and mobility.
· Compression socks can also help.
How can compression socks help people?
Neuropathy socks are a type of stocking that provides gentle pressure and support to the foot and ankle. They can help increase circulation and improve blood flow, reducing swelling, pain and discomfort.
They also improve sleep quality by reducing the effects of restless legs syndrome (RLS), a condition that causes people to feel like their legs are moving even though they are lying still in bed.
How do you know if you have the correct size and fit of them?
If you’re purchasing your first pair of them, it’s best to go in-store and try several different styles. This will allow you to compare other brands and ensure that the fit is correct before making a purchase. Once you have found the right size and style for your needs, here are some general tips for ensuring that they fit correctly:
· You should be able to fit two fingers between the skin of your leg and the sock when they’re on. If there is too much room, this may cause circulation issues and could cause more damage than good.
· They should be comfortable but not constricting or rolling down as you walk around daily. If this happens often, select another pair with higher compression levels until it stops happening altogether.
If you suffer from peripheral neuritis and want to try compression socks, you must have the correct size. You can find this information online by searching for “compression sock sizing chart” or contacting your doctor. Once you have found the right size, it is recommended that you try different brands until one feels comfortable enough to wear all day long.