If you are looking for tools that address incontinence, there is no denying that you will find several options. However, you must ensure you get only the best quality products at affordable prices. The market variety confuses many potential consumers. Worry not because this guide covers everything you need to know before about incontinence aids.
What Is Incontinence?
Incontinence is the inability to control urine or stool. It can happen due to several factors, including:
- Exercise and weight loss
- Disorders, such as diabetes and Parkinson’s disease.
Undergarments are the first line of defence against urinary incontinence. They act as a buffer between your skin and the absorbent layer of clothing, keeping you dry and comfortable. If you have light to moderate incontinence, undergarments can help keep you from changing your clothes multiple times. These undergarments must be comfortable and easy to use—you’ll wear them regularly! Look for odour-resistant materials that are easy to clean and maintenance-free.
Pads and Shields
- Pad or shield size: Pads are generally about 2 inches (5 cm) wide and 12 inches (30 cm) long, but this varies depending on the brand. Shields are available in a range of sizes, from small to large.
- Pad or shield shape: Pads come in different shapes depending on the brand, but they typically look like one piece of material folded over twice with wings at either end. Shields are available in round, oval, triangular and rectangular shapes.
- Pad or shield absorbency: Some pads have more absorbent layers than others; some have an extra layer of waterproofing material that keeps liquid from seeping through onto your clothing if you get up during the night; some even have leak guards built into them—all these things help protect you against wetting accidents while sleeping.
Diapers and Briefs With Tabs
Diapers and briefs with tabs are popular choices for adults who are looking for an easy-to-use, discreet option.
These diapers are great for people with heavy incontinence because they protect against leaks. If you need to wear the diaper while going out, you can pull your pants over it, and no one will know that you’re wearing a diaper.
Wipes, Cleansers and Skin Protectants
If you’re experiencing incontinence, one of the most important things you can do is keep your skin clean and dry. Some people find that using a wipe or cleanser on their genitals after urination or bowel movement helps prevent odours and infections.
However, it’s essential to only use wipes for this purpose—not for cleaning other parts of your body. Wipes can make it much easier to remove bacteria from these areas, but they also carry some risks:
- They may irritate if used too often or left on too long
- It may be difficult to get off all traces of urine or stool due to the adhesive nature of most wipes
Things to Consider While Buying Incontinence Products Online
Before you embark on your shopping journey for incontinence aids, it is essential to consider several factors. Here are some of the most important things you need to be aware of:
- The size and fit of the product: Make sure that the incontinence aid you choose fits your body correctly and is comfortable for you to wear. If it doesn’t fit well, it won’t be effective at holding in urine or faeces.
- The quality of the product: You want something that will last as long as possible without tearing or falling apart when worn during normal activities like walking around town or doing chores around the house.
- The price of this product: Compare the price with similar products from other brands/manufacturers on the market today (be sure to compare not only prices but also quality). Some companies may offer lower prices than others but make sure what kind of quality their products offer before making final decisions about which brand/manufacturer might suit best.